Ku Ku KaChew

Psst! Check out my other blog: Ku Ku KaChew

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Random goodies

Hummus
Put soaked chickpeas, tahini, pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and cayenne into the food processor.



Banana parfait

Recipe courtesy of inspiredbyeverything

I omitted the whipped cream due to time constraints and I didn't think it was necessary. If you put this in the fridge, it will turn brown (as bananas in any form will do). So stick any leftovers in the freezer for a yummy treat for later!



Berry pie
Kim made a yummy berry pie using the pulp from almond milk as the crust and fresh berries mixed with coconut meat for the filling. Super simple and even more delicious!



Bacon

Recipe courtesy of inspiredbyeverything

I came across this recipe and got all excited because I have a bottle of raw Coconut aminos, which is "organic coconut sap aged and blended with sun-dried, mineral-rich sea salt." This stuff is a soy-free seasoning sauce and was next to the Nama Shoyu and Braggs but cheaper so I decided to try it. I was really surprised by the flavor when I tried it, it's extremely smoky! Rather disappointed, I reluctantly finished the rest of my veggie sushi roll with it. So when I saw this recipe I thought it would be a perfect way to use this smoky sauce! I made it with squash instead of eggplant because Sevananda didn't have eggplant. Yellow squash seemed to work just fine. Disclaimer: Any veggies that have oil on them and go in the dehydrator will NOT get crispy! I learned this early on by attempting potato chips. So my bacon was chewy, but I like that texture so I enjoyed it. Tastes a bit different from bacon (duh) but was actually pretty good. I'd definitely make it again, especially to use up this funky coconut sap!



Orange-vanilla sherbet
Zested 2 clementine-type mini oranges. I peeled them and put the segments and zest into the blender. I added the water and meat of one young Thai coconut. Also opened a vanilla bean, scraped out the seeds, and added that to the blender. I then cut up the bark a little smaller and added it too. Added a little bit of agave nectar and voila! Poured it into a bowl and stuck it in the freezer. What a yummy way to have breakfast!! I also mixed some of this with almond and flax meal and made cookies. They are still dehydrating but I'll take a picture when they are done. Gonna make an orange glaze/icing for them too :)



Falafels
So, I ran out of chickpeas and wanted to do something with my maitake mushrooms anyway. So instead of veggie burgers, I decided to make little falafels. I put the maitake mushrooms, a carrot, a stalk of celery, some chopped onion, couple cloves of garlic, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt, and pepper in the food processor and BAM!! Here they are before and after dehydrating. 





Can you tell I missed working with food??? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment